Sunday, November 11, 2007

Balancing act.

I got the sweetest phone call yesterday morning. It was from a man who had come in with his wife for a couple's spa session the day before.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! from me. And Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! from my wife. She was melted the whole rest of the day and today I feel so revived."

When he had called and set up the appointment, he had mentioned she had been under a lot of stress and while he wanted it to be something they both did, he asked me to pamper her a little more than him. Since balancing my time with two people is always a little tricky, I was thankful for his cue. Most of the time I focus on intuiting who needs more direct attention and who reaches a relaxed state faster with more indirect, subtle interactions. Sometimes I only facilitate a couple pampering each other. Finding the best way to teach them to do Watsu and still make them feel like they can have an intimate, connected moment with each other.

When one guest states wanting to spend more time focusing on the other, be it for a special occasion like a birthday or just stress levels, I still make sure to watch body language and interactions for cues that the balance needs to change. So often, it means that they are looking for a 60/40 split in attention, but sometimes it is a dramatic disproportion. If what the guest means is that they want to help me pamper their partner, then frustration can develop if I don't make enough room for them to help me.

And it doesn't have to be about a miscommunication, sometimes we don't know exactly what we want until we get in a situation, and that's why being adaptable and flexible is so important in this job. I like that I have to be somewhat of a detective in making each session a great experience for my guests. Crafting it and helping the session to evolve to meet each person's need to be relaxed and rejuvenated. It's part of the fun; discovering what makes people happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.