Friday, November 13, 2009

Playing with stereotypes.

The Pink Show
Saturday, November 14th @ 9PM


Join the LRS Troupe and guests Captain Smartypants as they explore all things pink and why it is that color is so gay. Some of Smartypants greatest and gayest hits will be featured, such as Drama Queen, Heterosexuals and Stonewall Serenade. Interactive poetry, a no-holds-barred question and answer session, several scenes from gay life blend fantastically with costumes, dance and
a benediction you won't forget.

Where: 400 Dexter Ave N.
How Much: $25 in advance or $30 on the night of the show


Advance tickets can be purchased online at Brown Paper Tickets or in person at our new box office in the Little Red Bistro during business hours.


This will be the second of three showings of LRS' collaboration with Captain Smartypants. I am not in this show, as I am taking my place as the Box Office Maven. (Doesn't that sounds so much more interesting than Ticket Salesperson. Spicing up one's titles and job descriptions is a lot of fun. I highly recommend it.)

I am planning on checking out the show this time. Last month, I was a little leery of the subject matter. Not the gay part, but the playing with stereotypes and poking fun at prejudices. I have a strong belief that one shouldn't reinforce undesirable concepts by bringing attention to them. I was worried that it might end up being a little preachy, too, in all honesty. But so far, everyone I have talked to who attended the show has mentioned how much fun they had, and how it was mostly light-hearted, with a few somber moments.

Sounds like a good blend. Not to mention, I am a sucker for musicals, and Captain Smartypants is comprised of singers who are also members of the Seattle Men Chorus.

No comments: