Thursday, April 30, 2009

Kind words and fibromyalgia

Recently, I was honored to work with a woman diagnosed with Fybromyalgia and her partner. It was an enjoyable and rewarding challenge. Because of her high pain levels, I could not do my default style of massage. After a bit of discussion, we decided that Watsu and Water Contact Massage was the best way of meeting her comfort needs while addressing her therapeutic goals. Taking away gravity and gently massaging her, while her partner gave her Reiki (energy work) turned out to be a beneficial combination.

I received this email from her partner a few days after her treatment.

I'm writing for both D & I to thank you so very much for her session with you! I have never seen her so relaxed before in a "natural" environment (as opposed to medications). She admitted to a bit of doubt with Watsu, but was willing to try it to see how it might work and to hopefully avoid prescription medications. With the results, she is no longer in doubt. She felt great afterwards but the true test was during the night. She constantly wakes up throughout the night in pain, having to adjust herself accordingly, but that night was the first night that she can remember that she slept through the whole night and still woke-up relatively pain-free...her pain level usually an 8+ but was then a 2-3 and she felt rested...until the alarm went off at 5 in the morning..

We appreciated your professionalism, as well as your willingness to be "intimate". You listened to D and were totally there for her and her needs. You made us both feel comfortable with the session, as well as with you. I enjoyed being a part of the session for D with you but have a lot to learn yet as far as holding her while you treat her. She was so relaxed during the part of the treatment where I had my hands on her back and chest that she didn't even know that she was sinking, nor did she care...lol..."


It is always so wonderful knowing that you have helped create a positive change in someone's health. Whenever a partner works with me on their sweetie, even if just by being there and hold and supporting them in the water while I do the massage, it's much more powerful for all involved. There is something special about doing Watsu on your sweetie, even if they don't know any of the fancy moves. That intimacy shared between a couple magnifies all the good of Watsu. I am confident that she would have had a good session if she had come in by herself, but with her partner there, it was extraordinary.

I am looking forward to working with them again.

No comments: