Friday, July 17, 2009

At least I will have a great story to go with the scar.

Yesterday, Jeff had a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for the troupe to commemorate the opening of the Bistro. The grand Opening isn't until next week, when we have our Summer Bash on the 25th. Jeff wanted a little ritual to honour all the hard work that has gone into building and preparing the Bistro to open and also to hand over the reigns of operation to the new manager, Jim.

I was incredibly touched when Jeff asked me to coordinate with Cheri on a little ceremony, giving us the directive that he trusted whatever we came up with as long as he was the one who got to cut the ribbon. He also asked me if I would christen the Bistro by smashing a bottle of champagne on the corner of the building. See where this is going?

During the planning, Jim was sharing horror stories with Jeff of ship christenings where the bottle had to be swung numerous times to get it to break on the prow of the ship. As a result, Jeff emphatically directed me to use all my strength. Everyone gave a small count down and I swung, getting my torso behind my swing, and the bottle smashed spectacularly with a satisfying pop and spray of bubbles! Unfortunately, one of the pieces somehow bounced back and cut my left hand bad enough to need two stitches. At the time, we washed it out and I applied pressure and decided it was safe to finish out the ceremony. Next, a quick trip to the walk-in clinic where I was in and out in 30 minutes. Then back for a panini dinner at the Bistro. James, the Chef, thanked me for being the first one to get cut at the Bistro.

As a result, I will be unable to perform massage for at least a week. This is a fabulous time to take the opportunity to work with one of my other incredible practitioners. They have all graciously stepped up to cover my shifts at the spa until I get the go-ahead from the doctor to resume my full work. While you may be saying, "but, you are right handed, how come you can't massage." Actually, I am left
hand dominant during massage and the cut is on the back of my hand, close to the thumb knuckle. Using my thumb painfully stretches the skin, pulling at the stitches. I also can't get my hand wet for at least three days and I can't get into the hot tub with an open wound. So I am unsure of when I will be able to do a watsu session.

The upside is that I will be easier to get a hold of by phone since I won't be in session! Feel free to give me a call at (206) 963-0772 or email Sophia@ HengstStudio.com to schedule a spa session or massage with Cheri, Courtnee, Dion, Zan or Cody.