Monday, July 28, 2008

Whew! I made it!

This weekend was Erotic Shorts, Little Red Studio's quarterly theatrical offering. I was asked to audition for a part and even though I had never acted before or spoken someone else's words on stage, I tried out and landed the part of The Aerialist in "Double Decker Bus." This was the first screenplay Clayton, the LRS stage manager, has written and I was excited to be a part of it.

My first play went smashingly well. There were a few ups and downs in the whole process, but I think it is safe to say that all three performances were a success. Each night had it's challenges. By the time of the dress rehearsal, I felt flush with how each run through built on the next. I felt ready. But the difference in how it feels on the stage when only a handful of chairs were filled and when the show is sold out is more dramatic than I could have ever guessed! By Sunday night, the building energy came to a head and the emotions spilled forth. I was surprised at the intensity I felt around the character and story. Clayton wrote about this at length in his blog. In many ways, my experiences mirrored his, so I will let his eloquence speak for me, as well.

I am very grateful to Courtnee for running last night's Couple's Spa Night so that I could commit to performing in erotic Shorts. It was such a wonderful and enriching experience. She had such a good time that she and I have discussed her taking over as the regular host for the evening. I have to admit, I am excited about the prospect of attending a Spa Night as a guest, too!

1 comment:

Clayton said...

Sophia, you were fantastic.

When I first wrote the piece, I wasn't sure anyone but The Aerialist herself could perform the role.

But you brought your own unique style, your compassion, talent, charisma, and powerful stage presence to the role and made it your own.

Thank you so, so much.