Monday, June 16, 2008

Enjoying the Sun.

Today the sun was wonderful and warm. I took advantage of the extra hour before the start of Ladies' Spa Night to go once around Green Lake and sit in the park eating ice cream.

Just want to put my two cents in to remind everyone to take care of their skin in the sunnier weather. Start out with small doses of sunshine to give your skin a chance to produce melanin, your body's natural sunscreen. My tactic for protecting my skin at the beginning of the summer is to go without sunscreen lotion for the first 15-30 minutes and then apply liberally if I stay out in the sun. That way my body builds it's own resistance to UV rays without burning. Now, my skin is olive toned, and I have rarely endured a sunburn, as I tan easily and quickly. If you have paler skin, then this routine probably will not work for you at all.

Another factor to be aware of is whether you are taking any medications that affect your skin's reaction to UV exposure. There are some medications that can make your skin more sensitive to the sun. Make sure to do a quick check of any herbs or other supplements you are taking, too. A great reference guide (besides MedicalNet.com)is the book Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Phyllis Balch.

Remember to have fun!

No comments: